The Week Unpeeled
This continues to the summer of big, big news and last week did not disappoint, with world leaders reaching a historic agreement with Iran to curb its nuclear ability for more than a decade (and also lifting sanctions), and the prospect of Grexit forcing everyone back to the debt-bargaining table with analysts and markets alike seemingly following every move.
- In other-wordly news and what seemed to be kind of under-reported, the world got a glimpse of Pluto (mountains and ice!) following NASA’s New Horizons mission, nearly a decade in the making;
- Also kinda other wordly, Google share prices soared more than 16 percent or about $65 billiion in one day on strong earnings numbers;
- The markets also popped last week with Nasdaq posting a record high amid Google strength and the Dow up 1.8 percent to close at 18,086; The Dow, however, is up only 1.5 percent for the year, reflecting most likely slower growth in the industrial market;
- The teaser video for Showtime’s new series “Billions,” co-written by Andrew Ross Sorkin came out last week, prompting ink that suggested this will likely be a buzzy weekly show, at least at the start;
- Lego is moving to eco-friendly materials for its petroleum based building blocks; and
- Jade Helm 15 happened – or didn’t.
- Mexico this week offered up its first oil blocks to private investors this week but demand did not meet expectations;
- The Speaker of Brazil's lower house of Congress, Eduardo Cunha, this week announced he is leaving the governing coalition; and
- The judge investigating Argentine President Cristina Kirchner and her family over possible money laundering has been removed from the case.